Reports to: VP of Credit
JOB SUMMARY: The Director of Credit is responsible for directing the daily operations of the Credit department, specifically governing credit risk, managing collection/dispute activities to achieve working capital targets, building effective working relationships between the field and Credit, and continuously improving internal credit & collections processes. The Director will lead a collaborative work effort effectively balancing credit risk governance with optimal sales growth and profitability. This requires a seasoned professional with a thorough understanding of the legal aspects of commercial transactions, risk management and process improvement within the business context that supports company objectives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Continuously identify and develop people, process and system improvements to maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of the department in serving the organization and the end customer. Establish appropriate metrics to measure and monitor performance
- Establish, implement and manage collection and dispute management processes aligned with the varied customer demographic and composition of the AR portfolio. Effectively manage the aging to achieve established collections and aging profile targets. This position must ‘own’ the AR
- Develop and direct the preparation and communication of credit management reports addressing the needs of each respective audience. Provide effective and timely guidance to the credit leadership team and department, as well as comprehensive, proactive and timely updates to Company’s leadership team
- Ensure the Credit team provides appropriate and responsive service to the field through understanding the customer base and day-to-day performance management of the team
- Develop the Credit team through on-going coaching, goal-setting, performance management and training
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 10+ years of management experience in Credit & Collections with a proven track record of success in prior senior Credit & Collections positions
- Certified Credit Executive designation and/or successive accreditation efforts
- Exposure to and working knowledge of contract law, Uniform Commercial Code and bankruptcy
- An ability to see the credit operation as a financially oriented customer service function which balances cost control with support for the business
- Strong organizational, team-building and people skills. The ability to work and navigate within a complex matrixed organization
- Strong affinity for follow-up and follow-through management style
- Strong communication and leadership skills and the ability to assume increasing responsibilities in a rapidly-changing environment